Another of the 'one hit wonders' of the world of opera. Mascagni's one act opera 'Cavalleria Rusticana' is consistently in the top 20 of opera performances, usually paired with Leoncavallo's 'Pagliacci'.
Father: Domenico, owned a bakery.
Mother: Emilia. Died of tubercolosis aged 33 when he was 10.
Siblings:4: Elder brother Francesco , two younger brothers, a sister Maria.
Partners: 1st wife: Argenide Marcellina Carbognani (Lina),
Children:3: Son - Domenico (Mimi) (born day after he married Lina)
--------------- Son - Eduardo (Dino),
--------------- Daughter -Emilia (Emi).
Your first paragraph ...
- Age 10: His mother died of TB.
- Age 13: Begins music studies at Alfredo Soffredini's Istituto Musicale di Livorno.
- Age 19: Leaves Livorno to study at the Milan Conservatory. Meets Puccini.
- Age 22: Leaves Milan before his studies are complete. Tours as the conductor of an operetta company.
- Age 23: Appointed master of music in Cerignola, Southern Italy. Also teaches piano.
- Age 26: Marries Marcellina (Lina) Carbognani. The day after the wedding his son Domenico (Mimi) is born.
- Age 27 Première of Cavalleria Rusticana in Rome. It is a great success and is performed all over Europe.
- Age 28: Birth of son Dino. Première of L'Amico Fritz in Rome.
- Age 29: Birth of daughter Emi. Première of I Rantzau in Florence.
- Age 32: Premières of William Ratcliff and of Silvano at La Scala, Milan. Appointed director of the Rossini Conservatory in Pesaro.
- Age 36: His father died.
- Age 37: Tours Moscow and St.Petersburg, Russia.
- Age 38: Première of Le Maschere in Livorno.
- Age 39: Première in London of The Eternal City.
- Age 39/40: Tour of USA, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco. Mostly unsuccessful.
- Age 40: Leaves Pesaro due to problems and is appointed director of the Scuola Musicale Romana in Rome.
- Age 43: Première of Amica in Monte-Carlo. Rows with Leoncavallo and with Puccini.
- Age 47: Starts an affair with Anna Lolli. Makes peace with Puccini.
- Age 48: Leaves Rome. 7 month tour of South America.
- Age 53: First World War begins. He opposes Italy's involvement. Premières of Parisina in Livorno and Rome.
- Age 59: Another tour of South America.
- Age 64:Moves into the Plaza Hotel, Rome in which he stays until he dies.
- Age 69: Joins the Fascist Party.
- Age 72: Première of Nerone in Milan.
- Age 79: Last appearance at La Scala, Milan.
- Age 81: Dies in Rome.
- Tall, dark and handsome with a 'lion's mane' of black hair,extravagantly dressed, adored by women.
- Quick tempered, often confrontational and difficult.
- Popular among artistic and intellectual circles.
- A keen and expert card player.
- "It was a pity I wrote Cavalleria first. I was crowned before I was king."
- Modern music is as dangerous as cocaine
- The room where I am lodging is stupendous. Thank God I am as fit as a fiddle.
Mascagni in Amazon.com store (USA)