Gioachino Rossini was an Italian 19th century composer. Together with Bellini and Donizetti he was one of the main proponents of 'Bel Canto' opera.
Father: Giuseppe, horn player and slaughterhouse inspector
Mother: Anna Guidarini, a singer and baker's daughter
1st wife: Spanish soprano Isabella Colbran
2nd wife: His first wife died in 1845, and on August 16, 1846 he married Olympe Pélissier,
Best known works:
39 Operas including -
- Stabat Mater
- Petite messe solennelle
Piano music and songs
William Tell overture
Riccardo Muti conducts
- "Give me a laundry list and I'll set it to music."
- "Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind."
- "Answer critics with silence and indifference. It works better, I assure you, than anger and argument."
- "Eating, loving, singing and digesting are, in truth, the four acts of the comic opera known as life, and they pass like bubbles of a bottle of champagne. Whoever lets them break without having enjoyed them is a complete fool."
- "Wagner is a composer who has beautiful moments but awful quarter hours"
- "One can't judge Wagner's opera Lohengrin after a first hearing, and I certainly don't intend to hear it a second time"
Images of Rossini
A fascinating collection of images - art, portraits, caricatures, cartoons, album covers and postage stamps.
Cenerentola (Cindarella)- Finale Act 1
Orchestra Teatro alla Scala,Claudio Abbado conductor.
L'italiana in Algeri
The Thieving Magpie Overture
While his operas are performed regularly all over the world, there are two festivals specifically dedicated to Rossini
This is an annual festival held in the seaside town on the Adriatic where he was born.
This year, 2013, is the 34th. Dates: 10 - 23 August
Knoxville Rossini Festival and Italian Street Fair, Tennessee
This annual festival combines world class opera performances, art and craft exhibitions, wine tasting, and a wide variety of other events with a vibrant Italian Street Fair. Held in April - the 2013 festival will be the weekend of 27th April
Rossini on Food
Biography - Classical Net
Rossini by Richard Osborne (Google Books)
Pesaro Rossini Annual Festival
Knoxville's Annual Rossini Festival
Italian Composers - more profiles here at 52composers